The Town of Chapel Hill Parking Meter Program serves an important role by increasing the turnover of a valuable commodity, the on-street parking space. This benefits both the patron searching for an available parking space and the adjacent businesses. The time limit for meters in Chapel Hill varies from 15 minutes up to 10 hours, with the majority being set for 3 hours. The maximum time limit for a specific meter is indicated on the meter.
On-Street Parking Meters are in operation Monday through Saturday, 8:00am to 6:00pm except Town Holidays.
Off-Street Parking Meters are in operation Monday through Saturday, 8:00am to 8:00pm except Town Holidays.
Decks are in operation Monday through Saturday, 24hours per day, except Town Holidays.
- $1.75 per hour at all 3-Hour and 10-Hour Meters
- Off Street Pay Stations 0-10 Hours at $1.50 per hour
Types of Meter Operation
Multi-space meters require that you enter the space number that is located on the curb on the passenger side of your vehicle. The multi-space meter accepts both coins and credit, VISA, Mastercard, and American Express. The meters are carefully programmed to provide the correct amount of time for each coin, 12 minutes per quarter, 6 minutes per dime and 3 minutes per nickel. When using a credit card, it begins with the maximum amount; by using the arrows you can adjust the time to meet your parking needs.
To Report a Broken Meter:
If you encounter an inoperable parking meter, immediately report the meter number (the number, usually three digits, can be found on the front face of the meter) to 919-968-2804. All claims of a broken meter will be promptly investigated and verified; any citations issued in a parking space with a verified broken meter will be dismissed upon appeal.
- Requests must be received a minimum of 10 business days prior to the effective date.
- On-Street parking is reserved only for contractors, commercially licensed trucks and approved special events.
- Reserving meters does NOT exempt you from obeying posted regulatory signs.
- Payment must be received seven (7) business days prior to the event.
- Parking Services must be advised in advance of any changes in writing. Any changes need to be approved prior to the scheduled event.
Reserving a Parking Metered Space
The Parking Services division will “bag” a parking meter when necessary for contractors performing renovation work in the downtown area. The fee is $15.00 per meter per day.