Residential Business Permit
Businesses often need to do work in residential areas of town; and need to park their vehicles. The Town offers permits for this. Each address in the residential permit area could be eligible for up to five parking permits for business use such as Contractors, Realtors, or Non-Resident Landlords for $25.00 per month or $150.00 per year. This permit is good in the residential permit areas only.
The requirements are as follows:
- The Non-Resident Landlord, Realtor, Business Owner or General Contractor must apply in person for the permit.
- A copy of the building permit must be presented for building or renovation projects.
- Only vehicles that are essential to the building site will be issued permits.
- A permit fee of $25 per month or $150 per year per vehicle is charged and is only good in the residential permit area only.
- The definition of essential vehicle is as follows: The type of business described in the business license normally requires that the vehicle be on-site due to bulk of items being used in the professional service and/or the need for repeated trips for tools or parts to and from the vehicle.
Service Vehicle Permit
This permit is for qualifying service vehicles (plumber, electrician, utility, etc.) for $25.00 per month or $150.00 per year and would allow parking in the 2 hour metered areas.
The requirements are as follows:
- Applicants will need to prove that the vehicle is essential.
- Vehicle must be on an active service call (no personal business, running personal errands, eating meals, etc.) or the meter must be activated.
- A permit fee of $25.00 per month or $150.00 per year is charged and allows parking in the 2 hour metered areas only.
- This permit does not allow parking at 15 minute or 4 hour meters.
- The definition for essential vehicle is as follows: The type of business described in the business license normally requires the vehicle to be on-site due to the bulk of items being used in the professional service and/or the need for repeated trips for tools or parts to and from the vehicle.
If you are interested in this type of permit, contact our office at 919-968-2758.
Employers are eligible to purchase mixed-use permits for use by employees in areas adjacent to mixed-use developments for a fee of $150 each per year. This permit is for Prestwick Drive at East 54 and Southern Village.
Downtown Employee Parking Permit
This program makes permits available for employees of selected downtown business. Participating employees have access to three designated lots starting at 3:30 p.m. each day by displaying a hangtag permit. The permits are $20 each.
Monthly Downtown Business Validation Accounts
We offer downtown businesses the ability to have a specially created code to give to their customers to pay for their parking upon their arrival. The business will then be invoiced monthly for the amount used.
In our downtown business district, there are several Loading Zones, see map below. They are intended for commercial vehicles and business delivery use only. There is a 30 minute time limit for all Loading Zones. We can reserve on-street parking spaces only for contractors or commercially licensed trucks performing renovation work in the downtown are; as well as for special events. The fee is $15.00 per meter per day. You must request the reservations 10 business days prior to the effective date. All applicable laws and regulations are still in effect.
To inquire about any of these permits or validation accounts, please call 919-968-2760 or visit our office at 828 Martin Luther King, Jr BLVD, in the Chapel Hill Police Department.